BigBlueButton as alternative to Zoom videoconferencing

Hi Friends,

All of us are aware of the issues with propitiatory platforms like Zoom for videoconferencing. I also saw the wonderful video about Jitsi by Uma from FSFTN:

While I have been using Jitsi and it works great for small groups especially for informal conversations, there are several limitations with Jitsi. Video call quality degrades when we have a large number of users. Also, it does not have features like breakout rooms. So, I was searching online for alternatives and came across this one:

It is released in GNU Lesser GPL which is a free license. It also has features like breakout rooms, whiteboard, etc. I am wondering if it is an acceptable alternative to Zoom. Has anyone used this software? Would you know how much would professional support cost (from what I can see the distributors don’t provide professional support, but third parties do).

It will be really helpful to me if any of you can share your knowledge or experience about BigBlueButton or any other free videoconferencing software with features like breakout rooms and whiteboard.

Regards,
Delfina

Yes we have always known about BBB even before this sudden surge in search for conferencing platforms.
But the problem with self hosting service, is that it demands scaling with more people participation, and thus it cries for basically dedicated community support both financially and technologically.

With community/movement having several other functions to do, it becomes overwhelming to do everything. That is where FOSS based startups or Coops had to emerge to consider it as opportunity to setup the service and offer it for reasonable cost.

I believe a few service will be available soon.