Jeremy Corbyn’s digital democracy manifesto deals about
1)Universal Service Network
2)Open Knowledge Library
3)Platform Cooperatives
4)Digital Citizen Passport
5)Programming For Everyone
6)A People’s Charter of Digital Liberty Rights
7)Massive Multi-Person On-line Deliberation
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/blog/live/2016/aug/30/corbyn-labour-leadership-digital-manifesto-to-democratise-the-internet-politics-live?page=with:block-57c54067e4b0655f72768a13#block-57c54067e4b0655f72768a13

The full text of the manifesto can be found here

This sounds very much like UID – a national ID card scheme… :unamused:

i think it is like a passport used in hackerspaces. !
however it says as “voluntary scheme”

Well, that’s how they all start! :smirk:

I know… :laughing:

I think some of us have already discussed about easing participation in democracy, how come tech. can be used in such thought and all. @suriyadeepan remember. ?

I also think, that one of the most influential problem in representative democracy(apart from representation itself), is that commons are made remote and distant because of the abstraction itself from the parliamentary debates, amendments made to law and the constitution itself. Nobody clearly knows how come a decision or amendment or legislature change reflects, twists, compromises their personal and social life in liberty, economy etc… perspectives. Building alarming systems that kills non transparency of governments and establishments is advantageous.

Furthermore, digitizing democracy itself cannot bring the participation itself, but can be made as a platform which can be used. All those manifesto’s key points are obvious to persons like us. But the implementation strategies is what really speaks.

In short, this is a manifesto released by remixing all of the alternative stuff and embarking for the necessity of direct democracy.

How about delegative democracy ? – a middle ground between representative democracy and direct democracy.

Yes AFAIK, i would support delegative governance model. It is much similar to a cooperative society in its governance structure.

tried democracy OS ? and other such things people in europe are deploying. It has started gaining a huge traction potential among the citizens to use them. :wink:

I am just worried about people selling their votes like it is quite common in Tamil Nadu. But, then again, if people see that their vote actually matters and is not some silly ritual, maybe they won’t sell their votes.

I haven’t tried DemocracyOS. Anybody using such tools in India?

Delegative governance structure is somewhat similar to our parliamentary - presidential election scenario. right ?

May be pirate parties… ( there is a pirate party in kerala) !. Tools like democracy OS and D-CENT may be helpful in learning how would such platforms be helpful. The problem is there should not be any centralized hierarchy - control super structure - hidden behind such platforms. The real challenge lies in dealing with temporal problems of such systems (every collaborative systems face that).

Even then they are not complete in their functionality and implementation…[quote=“arunisaac, post:9, topic:811”]
I am just worried about people selling their votes like it is quite common in Tamil Nadu. But, then again, if people see that their vote actually matters and is not some silly ritual, maybe they won’t sell their votes.
[/quote]
Yeah, and i think it will still be challenging to eradicate such practice. In other words, how to make them realize that their votes actually matter ? (even with the present adult franchisee model, people has got only <1% duty cycle to participate in deciding the representatives - results only in responsibility and power shift).