Participate in Science Researches - Spare IDLE computing power

Given the number of computing devices in our hands (laptops, smartphones, desktops) considered over-all, the world’s total computing power is the mega super computer.

What if we also play our part in scientific researches? What if when my phone or computer that is not in use is used for computing that is required by a science program whose result is also not privatized and pushed to commons or public domain?

Such projects and grid computing have been in existence for more than a decade. It’s called BOINC. I am thinking about letting my computing power to be used not to mine selfish bitcoins, but to unlock mysteries of the universe through Einsten@Home project which is searching for gravitational waves in our universe.

https://einsteinathome.org/

Science itself cannot be closed or privatized, the programs and tools that is developed for this purpose are also Free Software under GNU GPL version 2.0. Science for everyone. Knowledge Commons

License Info: https://einsteinathome.org/application-source-code-and-license

So far, (atleast recently) networking between computing devices are made to share content thereby establish a communication facility. How this network is organized is one of the central problems of networking with computers. Further deployment of networking to share other resources such as digitized files (arts, software, firmwares, games, etc…), had been the next big thing. In that line comes the scientific journals and articles. Somewhere in between came RSS. Mean time Web relied on few services. It is both detrimental to the depender and the dependent.

The next stage is when BOINC was introduced and still computing power is contributed voluntarily. Networking to share computing resource along with content should be the next evolution of network based computing. Since the current network structure are tied to a few, the economics of the whole dependent network has to be tied to a few.

Federation and decentralization in web through torrent, gnunet, zeronet, ipfs, i2p, … are primarily devised to share packaged contents. Experiments are emerging to use it for real time content sharing - like messaging, chat and ultimately social discussion networking. Fruits are enjoyed by the early adopters and intermittent crisis in existing centralized platforms enable spiky flow to the alternatives.

In line like BOINC, it will be a good attempt to include, or integrate decent, fed, platforms (p2p, p2c, c2p) sharing packages, realtime contents as well as requests for memory and processor %. BOINC seems to do this centrally. I expect to use the communities computing power, by utilizing boinc like framework to use our collective computing power for local socio-economy.

What kind of economy we have currently ? open source and free of cost services supplemented by personal/private data extraction. We have free software, open data, open design, - but still computing power cannot be copied right ? so it involves production on material basis. Thus it only can be used upon request. Thus a request comes with a specific instruction and data to operate on. We already have the way to communicate the instruction, and make use of shareable data or access open data. The beauty is that with more computing devices available, only a very very small part of the problem could be taken possibly with small part of data required(not always). This brings us to the renting of resource problem. Since the hardware ownership is with the user unlike the software/digital resource which could be easily copied and shared - contribution involves non-latent usage of electricity - cost.