The Economic Model behind RedHat & Fedora

A paper titled From the commons to capital: Red Hat, Inc. and the business of Free Software has been published in PeerProduction journal. I tried to read it only once. At the middle of reading how RHEL and Fedora are managed through a structure, things started to get complex.

I think, visualizing the relationship between RedHat and Fedora’s structure and council in terms of some venn or graph diagrams could help us understand better. Can anyone try that? @31gane, @suriyadeepan, @Balvis, @arunisaac, @ramaseshan, anyone?
http://peerproduction.net/issues/issue-10-peer-production-and-work/from-the-commons-to-capital/

Abstract

Red Hat, Inc. is the largest and only publicly traded corporation whose business model relies entirely on free software products and services. Nonetheless, Red Hat reported more than US$ 1.7 billion in revenues in 2015. In this paper, I explain the relationship between Red Hat and its sponsored free software projects, and how it enables the company to transform free software products into proprietary commodities that provide the foundation for its business model.

No idea about visualization. But, let me read the paper first.

Sure. Will read and get back here.

I have read the paper. I am not too clear on the exact structure of the Fedora Council, but I get the big picture. For a visualization with graphs and such, perhaps you should approach @31gane. He is pretty good with these things.

@prashere Read the paper. Understood the transformation of Redhat from a Commons-based production initiative to a Intellectual Property based structure. The link between Redhat, Fedora and how they took over CentOS need to be understood clearly. Apart from this, Trademark Restrictions and CLA’s are the major hook in this structure followed by Redhat.

transformation of Redhat from a Commons-based production initiative to a Intellectual Property based structure.

@Balvis could understand this from the title of this paper, From the Commons to the Capital. This is very similar to what Google, Facebook, Amazon, etc., are also doing, they capture the value of the commons produced by commoners. What we should be doing is the inverse. From the Capital to the Commons.

Its late…,but fine… as usual jopp’s pubs are long gems.

I am still imagining how to make it visually communicative… I will share it once I draw it for sure. Thanks for asking. I have queued it up in my model embedding, as Jopp and the problem is close enough.