So for a long time, we have been trying to explore a lot of alternatives for the proprietary IM's that we use.
XMPP and IRC looked promising, but for some reason it didn't take off and we still cried with the same old IM's.
So for a long time, we have been looking at a user friendly alternative with multiple clients (Web, Smartphones, etc).
Recently we came across something called Vector (Based on Matrix)
A few of us have started to test it. So far it is really amazing.
Here are a few features that are available :
1. Public and Private Groups
2. P2P and Group Messages
3. Smartphone Audio and Video Calls for P2P
4. Web based Audio and Video calls for Group messages
5. A publicly search-able Room directory
6. Decentralized and Federated (Self Hosted)
7. Has multiple clients, Android, iOS, Web, Desktop (in development)
8. File sharing for both P2P and Group messages
9. Persistent Messages
10. User name tagging.
11. IRC integration from vector
Upcoming Features :
1. End-to-end Encryption
2. Other Prop integrations like Slack, etc
No Clue :
1. No emoticons
2. No stickers
Unknown Feature :
1. Bots (they exist, but trying to read more on what they are and how to use them)
We are slowly moving one group at a time to vector. Here is the list of the groups that have moved to Vector.
1. Channel for FSFTN : #fsftn:matrix.org
2. Channel for PyMesh : #pymesh:matrix.org
3. FSHM Pondicherry : #fshm:matrix.org