What does this news article mean - "Legal backing to Aadhaar notified, NDA free to use it for government schemes"?

From the news article

“The government has notified all but one of the remaining sections of Aadhaar (Targeted Delivery of Financial and Other Subsides, Benefits and Services) Act, 2016, giving legal backing for its use in various government schemes”

I don’t understand, can someone explain?

What else , we are doomed:)

I just found that it means that the Aadhaar act for targeted delivery of subsidies has come into fore. The below link is much more informative than that lousy article.
http://egazette.nic.in/WriteReadData/2016/171705.pdf

So people relying on subsidies & other forms of welfare have now the choice of suffering without welfare or accepting Aadhaar.

As a PhD student relying on stipend for daily expenses, I’m under fire. Whether scholarships come under this Aadhaar act is not clear and there is an ongoing PIL in WB high court that challenges it(in that case minitory scholarships for school students) and HC has asked government the legal validity of the same.

I don’t know where all these media people are getting their information from. I read the actual Supreme Court order dated October 15, 2015 (Writ Petition Civil, Justice K S Puttaswamy & ANR versus Union of India).

Quoting from the order:

We will also make it clear that the Aadhaar card Scheme is purely voluntary and it cannot be made mandatory till the matter is finally decided by this Court one way or the other.

The Supreme Court does have the power to strike down acts passed by the parliament as being unconstitutional. So, all is not lost even if the bill is passed in the parliament. What matters now is the pending case in the SC.

You can find the copy of the original order at http://courtnic.nic.in/courtnicsc.asp if you can get through their search interface. The URLs seem to use POST parameters, and I’m therefore unable to link to the order from here. However, I worked out the following curl command for you to download it.

curl ‘http://courtnic.nic.in/supremecourt/qrydisp.asp’ --data ‘listcause=3-494-2012-2015%2F10%2F15&submit1=Submit’ > scorder_oct15_2015.pdf

Meanwhile, CONCERN, IISc has requested a written statement from the administration saying that they made submission of UID mandatory in violation of SC orders. It’s been a month and they’re stalling. But, sooner or later, we’ll get their response. If they refuse to respond, it will have to be an RTI.

Let us not despair, please. Nothing is cast in stone, yet, and now is the time to fight. If any government/private organization demands UID for some reason, don’t back off. Insist that what they are doing is illegal. Ask for written clarification, file RTIs, etc. These written statements can be useful as evidence to the people fighting out the case in the SC.

Educate, Agitate, Organize!

Read the court order just now… they are clear about Aadhaar being an voluntary scheme, which is good and provides us avenues to fight.

I’ve taken to responding to comments in news articles hoping to raise the awareness of the issue. Here’s one where I sparred with a few people:

I wonder if its a good strategy.

This article makes the assumption that somehow homegrown Indian overlords such as Tata, Reliance, Airtel, etc. are better than foreigners and MNCs such as Google, Microsoft, Apple, etc. Somehow, we’re supposed to be “patriotic” about the success of “our” companies in oppressing the world and indeed ourselves. An oppressor is an oppressor regardless of the color of his skin and the language he speaks.

I appreciate your effort. But, I find it hard to reply/read comments on these sites because of the excessive proprietary javascript they use to deliver it, not to mention the relative irrationality of the people on those threads.

My intention usually is for people who read comments as well. Not just for people who argue against me.