Which Distro are you using?

For a very long time,I have the feeling that it is compulsory to use only Free Software for all our needs.I am tired of discussing about the difference between “Free Software” and “Pure Free Software”.I have been thinking is it necessary to use a complete free software or just to use any GNU/Linux Distro which suits best for me.

I had this question after checking this link :- http://www.gnu.org/distros/common-distros.en.html

Need more suggestions on this…

Distro Advice Needed

FEDORA

Convenience VS Freedom . With fedora, there are some prop firmware they have used, but people are writing alternative codes for that. So, when you dont have a free software alternative, we do two things:

1. Write the software (I am not so smart enough)
  2. Wait for the community to finish writing the alternative, and help them in ways you can (I do this partially.)

Please read this link: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FreeSoftwareAnalysis/FSF

I use Parabola GNU/Linux, a “pure free software” derivative of Arch Linux. AFK, I don’t know anybody else who uses one of the FSF approved distros. I wish more people would use the FSF approved distros, but obviously, it’s upto them. Debian, despite not being FSF approved, takes free software politics seriously, and I think is a good compromise.

I am also a big fan of GuixSD for technical reasons, and might migrate to it sometime in the future. GuixSD is also an FSF approved distro.

Was using Ubuntu for … well, since forever. But now, switched to Arch. Exploring Gentoo. Might not survive. Productivity is important for me. So I don’t bother to look for a Pure Free Distro, or whatever that is.

I was using Debian as my primary OS from 2010. Then in 2012 I had BOSS for a couple on months then switched to fedora and I am with fedora ever since.
But I’ve tried most other popular distros, nothing replaced fedora.
I have BLAG in my desktop and it serves its purpose very well. It has GNOME2 and a decent number of apps pre installed. It is quite highly stable . But I want the latest and eye candy, so fedora is what I choose.

Now to important things

The reason why people emphasize to run only the so called “pure free software” is because just one firmware could compromise the safety and privacy of the entire system.
For e.g., you have a GNU/Linux distro from a community you trust and it promises privacy. You could have security features such as SELinux enabled and whatnot. But if there is a software blob in the kernel and if no one has any Idea about what it does it could compromise the entire system. It could be a backdoor or It could could contain a vulnerability that the community couldn’t review since they didn’t have access to the source. In that case what is the point in using Free software? One might as well as go for a pirated copy of Windows.

Please also read https://fsf.org/blogs/community/active-management-technology

For some, an operating system, however “pure” it may be is useless if it does not perform the desired function. Several (mostly non-tech) users do not care about freedom if it doesn’t work.

Been using crunchbang early , after it happened(project got abandoned), switched to debian sid, then started experience crashing(due to gcc 5 transition), now using debian jessie with backports(for stability). it is considered pure if you dont use contrib and non-free repositories.

Tried

• Archlinux - consuming too much bandwidth still have nice community.
  • Gentoo - tradeoff Time and bandwidth consumption for best performance
  • Ubuntu - All round distro that doesn’t know what it is doing but get
    new software support easily even with proprietary ones
  • Fedora - Best GNOME distribution distro and have better
    functionality if want to experience new features of linux
  • KaOS - Best kde5 experience

Having “pure” free software, the main trade-off is security(paranoid one) over functionality in every aspect.

What do you mean bandwidth?

Internet connection speed and its cap limit

I’ve been using Arch linux, with a few proprietary software like flash, matlab and probably a few proprietary drivers. However, I have ditched flash plugin and in the process of doing away MATLAB and replacing it with numpy.

It is a myth in most GLUGs that we cannot use a completely free software without compromising greatly on usability. We might not be able to leverage the computer to the fullest potential, but the distributions like trisquel and gnewsense will change your opinions. Though they might lack the support unlike Debian or OpenSUSE, they are fairly decent. I haven’t used much of these but I was able to run the browsers and apps like GIMP, libre office, etc smoothly. For those who want the lastest updates, Parabola might be worth a try.